Our Client is a private Italian multinational company operating in Italy and abroad in both the pharmaceutical and fine chemical industries through its controlled and/or participated companies. Today the Group commercializes ethical products in several countries directly and through its subsidiary company. Its products, always with high therapeutic content, are mainly oriented towards the cardiovascular, immuno-oncologic, gynaecological, osteoporosis and neurologic area. Product portfolio expansion is pursued through increased investments in R&D in order to develop innovative products.
Focus is on small molecules and peptides. In particular, strong capabilities have been developed in:
- Histone DeAcetylase (HDAC) Inhibitors
- Somatostatin Agonists (SSA)
The Drug Discovery Director will lead a group of 30 scientists with the following primary objectives:
- Discovery of new molecules that can become innovative drugs of the portfolio
- Preclinical profiling of molecules in development
- DMPK evaluation of the molecules in development
- Toxicology of the molecules in development
- Preclinical support to the other R&D projects (new formulations, complex generics, similars)
An appropriate mixture of internal and outsourced activities is crucial to meet the above objectives Drug Discovery.
As a member of the R&D Leadership Team reporting directly to the R&D Head, the Drug Discovery Director will be play a key role in the definition and implementation of the R&D strategy. This implies an intense working relationship with other Group functions both within and outside R&D.
The candidate will have:
- PhD in biological/chemical sciences or MD degree
- At least 5 years in a comparable position in Pharmaceutical or Biotechnology companies, and/or University
- Track record in drug discovery and development.
- Expertise in one of the following areas will be highly regarded: oncology, inflammation/fibrosis, muscle biology
- Significant leadership skills and ability to work in complex matrix teams
- Fluency in English